February 16, 2008

Atom Life

Just realize that my last post was in July 2007...! Oh well, life's been quite busy. Anyway, thought that I will post something regarding my new gadget - Atom Life.


Ok, it may be not the latest high-tech gadget in the market but it's one of the heavyweight ones in the PDA phone family. Its 624MHz processor power and the 1GB Flash ROM are what attracted me and kept me thinking of it all the time. However, with only 64MB RAM to cope with the ROM, it's quite a disappointment. Imagine how many programs or software you can install with its 1GB ROM but you don't have much memory to run it. Thus, the performance will get sluggish after some usages and reboot (soft reset) will be the only solutuion.

Even though, I finally still bought it when I was in KL just before CNY. Standard box package plus a 2GB miniSD memory card and a screen protector, all for RM2199. I reckon it's a good deal since I saw it goes for around RM2899 in Karamunsing KK couple of months back. Some of the shops might still retain the WM5 which comes pre-installed from the factory but majority have upgraded to WM6 Pro. So don't forget to check that out with the sales person.

Anyway, first thing I realized after powered up the device was the weak signal strength. It showed only 1-2 bars while my ordinary Nokia was in full signal. Besides, ringtone volumn is ridiculously soft even though it's set to the max.

After searching through some Internet forums and the official O2 site, flashing the unit with the latest WM6 ROM was the solution. It's working good now although signal strength still can't compare with my Nokia. Other than that, it drains out the battery quite fast. Might be due to its fast processor. My own solution - I keep it connected to my PC everytime when I'm at my table.

If you like to customize your device, software/plug-in to go with it will be SPB and/or SBSH. They are one of the best, and best of all, they won't burn your pocket.

Overall, minus 1 for the weak signal strength, 1 for the pity 64MB RAM, and 1 for the camera (still 2MP while mid-range Nokia is already in 3.2MP with a Carl Zeiss lens) together with the poorly built stylus (my old Eten stylus is 10x more solid), I'll give it a 7/10 (GPS is not counted because I don't use it).

Until then.

No comments: